Unfurl the Umbrella

The boys have paid the price
Only to be punished twice.
As fragile eggs which the wall doesn’t spare,
They represent the tyrannised who can hardly care.
While the mob jostle to bury the truth,
The System hunts and jails their youth.
Through the New York Times and the Guardian,
The Reuters and the CNN,
The world gobble up with a pitying sigh—
Briefly before the gossip and sports glue our eyes.

 

Colin Lee

colin-lee-small

Whilst still on my hiatus, I cannot afford the diligence to polish my delivery, nor the luxury of visiting all you dear friends out there in the virtual world, I nevertheless feel an urgent need to call for your attention to our city’s downturning destiny, as epitomised by today’s unreasonably revised ruling upon student leaders Joshua Wong, Nathan Law and Alex Chow. (Daily prompt: “unfurl”.)

Photo Courtesy: occupy.com
Advertisements

14 thoughts on “Unfurl the Umbrella

Add yours

    1. Thanks, Jilly. The Department of Justice is now a political machine not unlike any dictatorship’s, which tirelessly sues and appeals until the opposition is jailed, disqualified for election and bankrupt. It is a desperate situation where only the dreamiest dreamers can hang onto hope. Pragmatically speaking, Hong Kong has gone past the point of no return.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Teaching rebellious teenagers to rebel for the sake of righteousness? Sounds great! I wish my high school teachers were like that. In this current political climate, one former teacher of mine, now retired, said his younger peers have to learn to self-censored in order to stay on the job. Pathetic. The only conscience left in our broken society is in the kids.

        Liked by 1 person

      2. How true. And so it is that our frontline lies in education, where the pro-establishment puppets never grow tired of installing brainwashing programs here and there (while sending off their kids to study in other countries).

        Liked by 1 person

  1. Oh my goodness, Colin! You have no idea how exactly your lines about the foreign news agencies and the sheep that chew on that on their crud rings true! Back when I still owned a television set, I used to laugh bitterly every time I came across a half-hour of self-serving tripe called something like, “World News Tonight.” Especially in the U.S., our “world news” is 85 percent domestic, and sound bites for the remaining 15 percent.

    Just know that there are a few thousand (I hope that many) who still retain the ability to read, and have the heart to care, a desire to help… if we but knew how.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I suppose no news agencies, apart from the likes of North Korea’s, are spared from the cruel consumerist nature of the information market. As much as the quality of the governing reflects the quality of the governed, the vox populi, being the practical embodiment of that relation, likewise cannot surpass in diversity, openness and respect for human values of the subscribers from which it originates. This frontline of progress, therefore, must contain elements that are neither bound by the consumerist nor the establishment’s mechanics, and is, I think, why education should play that leading part. You see, that’s one of the reasons I personally reserve high esteem for you educators. You guys have got a lot on your shoulders.

      Like

      1. The burdens educators have in the U.S. are the handicaps found on in the short story, Harrison Bergeron. We are bound, hand and foot, by bureaucracy and a mindless reliance on statistical data. All of the art and creativity inherit in great teaching has been legislated out of our schools. What can we expect when we ask law makers to guide education?

        Liked by 1 person

      2. I read it upon your recommendation. Thanks! Believe it or not, it was the handicapping education in HK which drove me to NY for my tertiary education. From the professors with whom I’ve stayed in touch, I know some things have changed in recent years (the bureaucracy), but I believe the foundation and traditions are still intact beneath the handicap upon which legislations have imposed. Well, HK would be a different story, nevertheless.

        Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: